Journal Home

  ISSN 0204-8043 (print)

  ISSN 1314-2143 (online)

Past Issues

Our Experience in the Diagnostics and Therapy of Patients with Solitary Peripheral Lung Tumours

 

Georgi Prisadov1 / Herbert Wallimann1 / Kathrin Welcker1
Clinic of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Bremen - East, Germany1
Citation Information: Folia Medica. Volume 53, Issue 1, Pages 47–52, ISSN (Online) 1314-2143, ISSN (Print) 0204-8043, DOI: 10.2478/v10153-010-0027-9, May 2011
Publication History:
Published Online:
2011-05-09


Our Experience in the Diagnostics and Therapy of Patients with Solitary Peripheral Lung Tumours

 

Patients presenting with a solitary pulmonary nodule are often a serious diagnostic-therapeutic problem.

The aim of the present report is to share our experience with VATS in the diagnostics and therapy of patients with solitary pulmonary nodules.

Patients and methods: Between 2005 and 2009 we performed primary videothoracoscopic tumor resection in 125 patients with peripheral lung tumours.

Results: In 93 (74.4%) of the cases complete successful thoracoscopic resection of the tumor and subsequent intraoperative frozen section histology was accomplished. In the remaining 32 cases (25.6%) various reasons demanded conversion to thoracotomie with wedge resection of the nodule. 54.2% of the removed tumours were malignant and 45.8% - benign. In 18 of the patients the intraoperative frozen section histology diagnosis was primary bronchial carcinoma which required to do oncologic resection of the tumor. In 10 patients the intraoperative frozen section histology was unable to differentiate between pulmonary metastasis and primary bronchial carcinoma, and the oncologic resection was performed in another surgical session after the definitive pathomorphologic diagnosis had been available. In 28 of the cases pulmonary metastases of a primary extrapulmonary tumor were removed.

Conclusions: Despite improvement in the diagnostic techniques, only the video-thoracoscopic removal of the lung nodule and its subsequent histological examination enables the definitive diagnosis, solving definitively the problem with benign lesions and indicating appropriate treatment of the malignant pulmonary lesions.

 

Abstract in russian

Наш опыт в диагностике и лечении пациентов с солитарными периферическими легочными опухолями

 

Пациенты с периферической круглой тенью в легких часто представляют серьезную диагностическо-терапевтическую проблему.

Цель: Поделиться опытом в диагностике и лечении пациентов с солитарными легочными уз-лами.

Пациенты и методы: В течение пятилетнего периода (2005 - 2009 г.) 125 пациентов с перифе-рическими легочными узлами подвергнуты первичной видеоторакоскопии с целью резекции опухоли.

Результаты: В 93 (74.4%) случаях достигнута полноценная торакоскопическая резекция опухоли интраоперативной гефрир-диагностикой. В осталь-ных 32 (25.6%) случаях из-за разных причин

проведена конверсия (атипичная резекция узла). Злокачественными оказались 54.2% удаленных опу-холей; доброкачественными- 45.8%. В 18 случаях проведенная гефрир-диагностика показывает первичную бронхиальную карциному, из-за чего про-ведена резекция опухоли. У 10 пациентов гефрир-диагностика не оказалась категорической в диф-ференциальном диагнозе между легочным метастазом и первичной бронхиальной карциномой. После пос-тановки окончательного патоморфологического диагноза проведена онкологическая резекция в ин-тервале. В 28 случаях удалены легочные метастазы с экстрапулъмоналъной первичной опухоли.

Выводы: Несмотря на усовершенствование диагностических техник единственно видео-торакоскопическое устранение легочного узла и его последующее гистологическое исследование обеспечивает окончательный диагноз, при чем та-ким образом дефинитивно решаются проблемы доброкачественных лезий и корректного лечения малигненных легочных поражений.